POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Journey to an Unknown region [ wip 3] : Re: Journey to an Unknown region [ wip 3] Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:24:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Journey to an Unknown region [ wip 3]
From: Kenneth
Date: 21 Dec 2009 09:15:01
Message: <web.4b2f8289242e0a9065f302820@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote:

> I agree about the rockface in the foreground. It is frustratingly not coming
> out as I want it to be. The reason is of course that the height_field is too
> smooth at that distance/angle, which cannot be entirely compensated by a
> texture.

Another, more radical idea might be to make that foreground mountain a separate
height_field, with its own (finer) detail. Of course, visually blending that one
into your main HF could be a tricky (if not impossible) chore.

Another idea: Perhaps apply an image_map overlay of some kind--one with finer
'detail' so to speak-- to the nearer mountain slope, to give it some visual
variation.

As you can probably tell, I have no problem 'cheating' the structural make-up of
a scene, if I can make it look the way I want.

Ken